Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Random Lunch Break


Story: Had some extra time to make lunch today. Last week, I had way too many beers and visited Bojangles too many times for my liking. With that said, I'm trying to get back on healthier, fresher foods. I needed something to eat with a Thai Pad Prik chicken salad I put together so I decided to make a tomato-salami tapenade.

Tapenades usually are made from olives and anchovies. Instead of anchovies I used sliced salami and some parmesan cheese I had left over from the last blog entry. To replace the sharp taste of the olives, I used the roasted bell peppers and some tomato for acidity.I thought I made enough to share. I didn't.

The final product on the grill.

Ingredients:
Topping: Cherry Tomatoes, Basil, Salami, Hummus, Olive Oil, Pepper, Parmesan Cheese, Roasted yellow bell peppers, Wheat Bread

I figured I didn't want to use olive oil as the liquid so I decided to put in some hummus I picked up at the store, coincidentally it was Red pepper hummus. Yes, I know that hummus has olive oil in it so I thought it was going to be a suitable substitute.

Pop all that stuff in a blender with some salt and pepper and you have a tapenade spread.

After the mixture was well blended, I dropped a few pinches of parmesan cheese to add a little salt to the mix and to get a grainy texture to the tapenade. I didn't want a smooth puree on top of the bread. I grilled a few slices of wheat bread and then heaped on spoonfuls of the topping and let it toast up on the grill.


And there's lunch

Wish List: Capers, Anchovies, olives for some real tapenade


No comments:

Post a Comment