Monday, May 10, 2010

Picnic with a Friend: A (Medjool) Date to Remember

Story: My friend and apparently an avid reader of this blog was passing through Charlotte so I decided to treat her to some "home cooking". The day before, I was at a Beer, Bourbon and BBQ festival. I enjoyed the weather and food so much that I wanted to spend as much time outside as I could for the remainder of the weekend. I thought that there is no better way to enjoy the outdoors and the company of a good friend than a picnic.

I picked up my friend from the airport on Mother's day. After "very little" searching, we found a nice, quaint spot to set up. I just tried to make things easy to eat and that would hold up well in the heat (so little dairy). Needless to say, I had a great time.

The Food:
One of my favorites foods in the world is bacon-wrapped dates. It's super easy to make, surprisingly tasty, and very versatile. There are several types of dates out there but I prefer Medjool dates since they usually have a good size and are widely available.

From Amicus Curry

Why did the banana ask out the prune?

Answer: Because he wanted a date!

From Amicus Curry

The experience of biting into a delicious and juicy date with a seed is the pits! Speaking of, be sure to take the pits out of the dates. It's as easy as taking a paring knife and cutting half way into the date and then digging out the seed.

From Amicus Curry

Take some good thick cut bacon and wrap it around each date. Use a toothpick to secure the bacon around the date. Make sure you soak the toothpicks in some water so that they don't catch on fire or char.

From Amicus Curry
Bake the bacon-wrapped dates in the oven for 15 minutes at 350F. Then turn on your broiler for 5 minutes to crisp up the bacon. Enjoy these little treats! I enjoy them because of the contrast between the salty crispiness of the bacon with the sweet, delicate texture of the dates.

Variations: You can stuff the dates with blue cheese or fruit marmalade. I prefer the blue cheese since the marmalade can make the dates too sweet. I didn't use blue cheese here since my guest doesn't eat moldy cheese (know your audience).

Pesto-Chicken Sandwich

From Amicus Curry
Grill some chicken breasts with some salt and pepper.


From Amicus Curry
After the chicken is 75% done- take them off the grill and let them rest for a bit. Dice the chicken into cubes and throw the chicken cubes into a pan with olive oil and browned garlic.

From Amicus Curry
Add some pesto to the chicken and turn off the pan. The heat should finish cooking the chicken, You really don't want to over cook or for that matter under cook poultry. Refrigerate.

From Amicus Curry
I decided to use snow pea sprouts, tomatoes, and roasted bell peppers to accompany the pesto chicken. Snow pea sprouts are a great alternative to lettuce because they are sweeter and are easily layered in a sandwich.

From Amicus Curry

After putting on all the veggies, place the pesto chicken (preferably refrigerated for a couple hours) on top.

From Amicus Curry

To Drink:

I took pineapple cubes and mango slices and soaked them in vodka. I put the mix into the freezer for a couple of hours.

From Amicus Curry

The pineapples and mango would act as "ice cubes" and keep the drink cold.

From Amicus Curry

When it was time to drink, I combined the pineapple/mango mix with an orange soda (I actually used a drink that was very similar to Orangina).

No picnic would be complete without dessert. I admit I don't have a sweet tooth so I really don't know how to make desserts. Because my lack of desserting diligence, I picked up a serving of banana pudding (or nana pudding as it was called) believe it or not at a local gas station. It was my first time ever having it and hopefully not my last.

All in all---a good first attempt at picnic-ing. Would love to do it again....in Hawaii.

5 comments:

  1. What a spread! You must really like this girl if you were willing to put forth so much effort to feed her, though I'm sure she was worth all of that and more.

    In your drink, did you use fresh or frozen fruits? And where did you purchase the orange soda? I'd like to try and replicate the recipe for my friend's pool party this coming saturday.

    As an avid reader of your blog and a HUGE admirer of you personally, I'd like to thank you for all the time and effort you put into the literary work of art you call amicus curry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza...that is some work of art.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fresh fruit always trumps frozen, but if you are in a "squeeze" frozen works just fine. Either way alcohol and for that fact alcoholics usually won't know the difference.

    The spread was big, but the smile on this girl's face was even larger. It was one of those smiles where you thought to yourself..."man a baby angel just got their wings somewhere out there."

    I digress--- fresh over frozen, classical over country, and Saturdays over Sundays....

    As Always,
    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. as always, awesome post. Can't wait to try it out. Where do you get pesto? Is it pre prepared? Also, where did you get the date bacon idea?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saira- the Pesto i get at Trader Joe's and I have used it for pizza and pastas. They do make a very good one. You can make your own if you are feeling up to it with salt, pepper, parmesan cheese, a ton of basil, roasted pine nuts, garlic cloves, and some good olive oil. Just throw all of it in a blender.

    the Bacon-wrapped dates was a dish i tried in Sevilla, Spain after a night of watching Flamenco dancing. I channeled the inner tourist in me that night.

    ReplyDelete